Belgian 12mm Pinfire Walking Stick

This is a Belgian 12mm Walking Stick gun and is quite unusual and scarce.
Chris Curtis did not have a photo in his Pinfire Book.
It has a steel body painted yellowish with an ebony? handle and steel tip.
890mm (35") overall. 730mm (28 3/4") barrel. Tapers 24mm to 13mm at tip.
Weight is 800 grams or 1lb 12 oz. Has a front sight and wooden insert.

Proof marks look like ELG star in an oval but a bit hard to read under the paint.
You pull the ring up to cock the action and lower the trigger.
The barrel stud fits the slot level with the spring and you turn the grip clockwise into the slot below the spring. You close the trigger flush after the shot.

The chamber seems to be 46mm long as the 44mm long green shell chambers and a 2" shell is a bit long. The pins must not protrude longer than 5mm from the case or you cannot close the gun. It must clear the pin groove and have a short pin.

1 Like

These are always really cool.

Do you have any boxes of the 12mm shotshells which only have the short pins?

No boxes. I had to check the collection to find these two that fitted nicely.
Pin height is actually about 4.4mm on these cartridges.(Not 5mm).
I have never seen a box of short pin Pinfire cartridges . Please show them.
The green cartridge is actually a blank as it is very light.
It is 44.5mm loaded length. Other 50.5mm NPE cases with short pins seemed too long.The brass stayed proud of the chamber and I did not push to damage the shell. Thanks for the comments and enjoy the items. Ron.

You’re is belgium made, mine is made in Saint Etienne and in 14 mm pinfire

Description de la canne - fusil à broche 14mm

A première vue cette canne ne se différencie pas des autres.
C’est en fait une « arme cachée » dissimulant à l’intérieur un fusil à broche 14 mm.
Objet d’usage très courant à une époque où l’on marchait beaucoup.
Le mécanisme de mise à feu est dissimulé dans le pommeau de la canne.

Le chien plat encastré et la détente pliante sont bien dissimulés, à peu près « invisibles » au repos.

A l’instar des cannes –épées pouvant servir aisément d’arme de défense, la canne – fusil est plus communément associée à une arme de braconnier.

Il est vrai que le chargement de l’arme demande plusieurs manœuvres pour être opérationnel.

• Il faut retirer le bouchon de fermeture du canon, qui fait aussi office de « tire-cartouche ».
  • Après un déverrouillage à l’arrière du pommeau, le mécanisme glisse, ouvrant la culasse, permettent d’introduction de la cartouche.
  • Avec le crochet du bouchon, on arme le chien, qui libère en même temps la détente.
  • Fermeture de la culasse et verrouillage.

Ce n’est qu’après cela, que la mise à feu peut s’opérer.
Malgré l’utilisation d’une crosse d’épaulement amovible, qui se visse sur le pommeau, la visée reste très approximative.
La puissance est aussi réduite car le calibre 14 mm ne la rend guère apte qu’au tir de petit gibier.
Cette canne connaîtra un grand succès comme arme de « Braconnage Bourgeois ».

Caractéristiques :

Canon en acier noir, intérieur lisse, calibre 14 mm à broche.
Longueur totale : 1190 mm, avec crosse d’épaulement et bouchon de fermeture.
Longueur canne : 890 mm avec bouchon.
Longueur crosse : 300 mm
Poids complet : 1010 grammes
Poids canne : 840 grammes
Poignée en bois d’origine.

Marquages et Poinçons :

Le canon, la carcasse ainsi que le bloc système / culasse comportent le numéro 39.

Poinçon de St Etienne, partiellement lisible, d’Avril 1879 à Août 1885, juste derrière la détente escamotable.

Sur le côté gauche du bloc culasse le nom de l’armurier:

« J. RUCHON St ETIENNE»
« J. ROUCHON St ETIENNE»

1 Like

Very nice walking stick. I understood about half the French info as you possibly did with my long information. Interesting different action.Thank you.
I had a choice of 3 items 20 years ago. A Trubacco? 16ga bell muzzle , a take-down 14mm poachers gun with a wooden stock or a lovely 12mm fluted barrel revolving rifle. I got the rifle and never saw the others offered again. I am happy though.
I will show this rifle at a later date. Thanks. Ron.

Description of the walking stick – rifle, 14mm pinfire.

At first sight this stick isn’t different from the others.
This is actually a “hidden weapon” concealed inside a pinfire rifle, 14 mm gauge.
A stick, of very common use, in an age where they walked a lot.
The firing mechanism is hidden in the pommel of the stick.
The flat hammer and the folding trigger are well hidden, almost “invisible” when not in use.

The sword sticks can easily serve as a defensive weapon, the stick - rifle is more commonly associated with a weapon of poachers.
It’s true that the loading of the rifle requires several manoeuvres to be operational.
• You must remove the cap of the barrel, which also serves as a “cartridge puller.”
• After unlocking the back of the pommel, the mechanism slides, the cylinder head opens, allow insertion of the cartridge.
• With the hook cap, you pull the hammer, which releases at the same time the trigger.
• Closing and locking the breech.

Only after this, the firing can take place.

Regardless the use of a removable shoulder butt, which screws onto the pommel, the target is very approximate.
The power is also reduced because the 14 mm gauge does not make that much capable of shooting small prey.
This stick will be a great success as a weapon of “Gentleman Poaching.”

Features:

Black steel barrel, smooth bore, gauge 14 mm pinfire.
Overall Length: 1190 mm, with shoulder butt and barrel cap.
Cane length: 890 mm with cap.
Shoulder butt length: 300 mm
Total weight: 1010 grams
Stick weight: 840 grams
Original wooden pommel.

Punches and markings:

The barrel, frame and the system block / head contain the number “39”.
Proof mark of St Etienne, partially readable, from April 1879 till August 1885, just behind the folding trigger.
On the left side of the breech block the name of the dealer:
"J. RUCHON St Etienne "
"J. ROUCHON St Etienne "