Belgian Made LeMat Pinfire Revolver

The last really interesting one to me from today’s Cowan’s auction was this LeMat pinfire. It sold for $7200.

Their description was:

11mm/20 gauge, 6.5" octagonal barrel with 4.5" shotgun barrel, S/N 3103 . Blued finish, smooth walnut grips. Single action, 9-shot fluted cylinder pinfire revolver with a percussion 20 gauge shotgun barrel as the cylinder arbor. Weak marking on left of barrel reads: COL A. LEMAT BRT 123 . Both Liege and London commercial proofs are present on the shotgun barrel and rear face of cylinder. No other markings present. Hinged loading gate, pinfire ejector rod mounted on right of barrel. An interesting early cartridge variant of the famous LeMat percussion revolver.

Condition:

Good as refinished. Retains much of an old applied blue finish that is turning plum with some reddish tones. Weak markings, mechanically functional, but the action needs work to time and index correctly. Bores very good with strong rifling and scattered oxidation. Grips very good with some scattered handling marks.

3 Likes

I agree with you, metal can be easily cleaned

Hé Hé … made by Lefaucheux in Belgium …on the left side of the barrel you see the EL with his crown .

Belle pièce, sera magnifique après restauration.

Oui effectivement je n’avais pas vu.Tu as l’oeil Guillaume.

Il a le droit d’être beau après restauration parce que 7200 + les frais cela fait beaucoup d’argent .

Les qq Lemat a broche que j’ai vu était tous marqué EL ou presque tous

peu d’exemplaire de ce revolver plutôt original , j’ai pu lire 3000 ? exemplaires environ

Pas 3000 à broche ??

Je pense tous modeles confondus,ce n’est pas précisé. A vrai dire je ne connais pas le modele…

Celui-ci comporte déjà le numéro 3103 … et 74056

Je me suis référé au site suivant
http://www.littlegun.info/arme%20americaine/revolver%20confedere/a%20revolver%20confedere%20le%20mat%20fr.htm
Il précise un début de numérotation

Avec tout le respect que j’ai pour mon ami Marcel, sa prose est un peu dépassée par rapport au connaissance que nous en avons aujourd’hui.
Il ne parle pas des armes LeMat à broche et parle d’une fabrication à Paris, j’aurais tendance à parler d’une fabrication à Liège et une finition et assemblage à Liège et Paris

If my database is up to date, we can locate the manufacture of 74056 during the year of 1867.

Cela correspond il avec ce que l’on sait sur les Lemat?

Le brevet pour le revolver Le Mat est déposé en 1856 pour 15 ans, donc au niveau date c’est possible.
Et quand je lis ce qui en est dit sur WIKIPEDIA cela me semble correspondre (avec un peu de souplesse dans les dates et quantités) .