My ancestor's M1854 #2923

Hello,

While researching one of my ancestors I stumbled upon his pistol for sale online and bought it. It’s a 12mm, M1854 Cavalry model, formerly belonging to Colonel Gustave A Breaux of the 30th Louisiana Infantry Regiment, CSA. I am attempting to post some videos of the pistol here.

https://youtu.be/CCFzTQHofCk

https://youtu.be/fQsgjxxahzM

It needs an ejector rod. I can apply forward pressure to the trigger and get the hammer to stay back. Cylinder seems to index well.

What can you guys tell me about this pistol? From what little I have read so far I expect this was custom ordered?

Thanks & regards from the “Heart of Dixie”
Derek

Instead of 2 videos I prefere to see good pictures that I can look at, with a moving image its very difficult to see the details that I want to see.
Something like this …

The LF 2923 has been made in Paris at 9 and 9 bis Rue Lafayette by Eugène Lefaucheux around the beginning of October 1857.
The LF 3027 was accepted by the French Navy on 27th of October.

When I find the opportunity I will take photos and share.

Do you think this pistol was from a custom civilian order? Gustave would have been in New Orleans, Louisiana from the early 1850s up to Lincoln’s War.

Thank you sir!
Derek

100 % sure that this revolver is Civil .
No officiel revolver has that kind of ornements

I figured it was not a military contract pistol. I guess what I’m asking is did they make these ornate pistol for specific orders, or did they make these in lots to be sold without knowing ahead of time who would purchase it, like a product they would list in a catalog?

Would this example be considered a “Luxury Model”?

Pictures coming…

1 Like

YES This was probably a specific order, a luxury model and probably in a box like this one …

LF24142, un M1854 de luxe. – Lefaucheux père et fils (wordpress.com)

3 Likes

Question: Is there information available on known importers of Lefaucheux products into the US? Could someone in the US just order from a catalog and have it send to them directly from overseas, or would they have to go through an importer? I found my ancestor’s father-in-law was Samuel Locke who is shown in this image as an “importer”.

I cleaned up the M1854 with CLP, Simple Green and 0000 steel wool. Here’s a video:

Here’s some photos:

Here’s my ancestor:

2eb68527-cbd6-4ea6-9cb1-ec64aa0a3014

Gus had a law firm for 40 years in New Orleans, “Breaux & Fenner”. His partner was Judge Charles E Fenner. Jefferson Davis died in the Fenner home. Gus had a hand in the original interment of Jeff Davis at Metairie Cemetery, being active in that piece of land even when it was a horse-track before the war. Later in life he helped in the diversification of Louisiana agriculture since cotton was flat. He put up the first steam powered sugar cane mill in Lafayette, LA.

Thanks for this website, and the opportunity to learn and share!

-Derek

3 Likes