The battle of Robert vs Lefaucheux

PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1io9ZTLPCpfM5XpYrpJSNVOVicdrxiJqA/view?usp=sharing

thanks, very interesting

Yes very interesting article

As someone with a better understanding of the French language than I, what were a couple of your key takeaways from this article?

It seemed like they definitely thought Robert’s cartridge was a little better however it was harder to unload. And some of the criticisms about the cartridge show how it played into Lefaucheux developing the pinfire cartridge which remediated many of these issues.

I thought it was kind of funny how they seemed to be kind of petty in how the tests were performed.

In France, the first breech loading rifle for the war was the chassepot in 1866, 33 years after Lefaucheux…more with the Pauly system…
A lot of hunter wanted a classic percussion shotgun

Wrote a more detailed article on this, and about the journals in general.

This is really fun, but I , like some others, wish I could read French. I have a Robert that looks much like the illustration. Does anyone have a picture of the cartridge ? Mine is a 16 gauge.

If you click through my article on reply to this topic directly above yours there’s some pictures on there of the cartridges. Also some of it is translated to English there. ( Journal Des Armes Spéciales and the Battle of Robert vs Lefaucheux - Aaron Newcomer )

Additionally there was a pinfire version of the Robert gun that took these oddly shaped pinfires. I have one of those cartridges too: